Around 1.6 million rental homes at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning

Around 1.6 million rental homes at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning

16th October 2017


According to new research, almost a THIRD of rental properties in the UK are potentially at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning!

The study, carried out by Censuswide on behalf of Carbon Monoxide Be Alarmed!, which is a national campaign to reduce the number of deaths and injuries caused by carbon monoxide, found that almost a third of renters in the UK do not have a CO alarm in their property.

Given that there are around 5 million households living in private rented accommodation, a quarter of whom are families with children, that means that there are approximately 1.6 million rental homes at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning, and this is owed in part to a lack of communication.

Somewhat alarmingly, four in five private tenants surveyed said that they had never been told that it is their responsibility – and not their landlord’s – to provide a CO alarm.

Under existing regulations, landlords in England and Wales are only required to provide a CO alarm in properties with a solid fuel appliance, i.e. coal or wood burning stoves. However, in Scotland landlords are legally required to provide CO alarms in all properties.

Chris Norris, head of policy of the National Landlords Association, said: “Private landlords have a legal responsibility to provide a CO alarm if solid fuel burning appliances are installed, but landlords, tenants, and homeowners need to be aware that the risk of CO poisoning extents to all types of combustion – including natural gas. Although the risk is small, CO detectors are not expensive and require very little maintenance, which is why the NLA recommends landlords install an alarm in every property with solid fuel, oil, or gas installations. It is best practice and may save a life.”

 

Source – Landlordtoday.co.uk